Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Real Americans

I refer you to the entire Daily Show from this Monday if you haven't caught up on the latest kerfuffle.  Jon Stewart is out for blood, and employs a heavy rotation of expletives to draw it, but 1) he's a comedian and 2) he's onto something.

As an added anecdote: just now during Game 1 of the World Series, MLB and Fox showed the 7th inning singing of God Bless America.  A woman from the Air Force sang a wonderful rendition, but I noticed that the crowd was relatively quiet down there in St. Petersburg, FL, and I couldn't help but compare that to the crowds at Yankee Stadium--in the middle of New York City, the anti-Small Town--where the crowd belts it out.  I'm iffy on "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch as a continuing tradition (closer to jingoism on the spectrum, it seems to me, at least in 2008), 

But, knowing those New Yorkers, they're probably singing it ironically.  Commie hipsters.

No comments: