Sunday, September 21, 2008

Foodstuff of the week: Applewood-smoked bacon

Over the summer, Dad and I got really into applewood-smoked bacon from the butcher's counter at Hannaford (I'd say that Mom got into it, too, but I don't think she's into any kind of bacon).  It's got a great natural flavor and scent from the smoking process, and it tends to cook more evenly with slightly lower fat than the vacuum-packed stuff in the deli cooler-- for those of us who prefer our bacon to be neither charred nor greasy, this is a find.  

Naturally, when the new Safeway opened up on 5th and L NW last Friday and they sent me a coupon for $2 off a purchase of $10 at the butcher's counter, I had to check to see if they had applewood-smoked bacon.  They did.  Needless to say, I'm liking this new Safeway. I felt slightly self-conscious buying roughly 2 lbs. of bacon, but I figured, what the heck--I'll freeze half of it for next week, and use the rest this week.  

Of course, due to some sort of weighing error, after they took the bacon off the scale, the total cost went from $10.03 to $9.88, nullifying the discount I was trying to use.   But it was worth paying full price: there definitely is a difference in taste and texture that makes it a lot more versatile.  

Bacon was featured in the following menu items this past fortnight (some instructions provided, but there's not a lot to some of these dishes):
  • Breakfast tacos w/scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, and corn tortillas (I suggest using flour, but I picked up corn--oh well).
  • "Chicken à la king" (or something like it, at least).  First, dice bacon into small pieces (I believe the French call them "lardons," but I call them freedom slices) and sauté over medium-high heat to desired doneness.  Remove from pan and drain the bacon, and drain most of the grease from the pan, reserving some (or a lot, depending on how much fat you want in the dish).  Then, sauté diced chicken thighs (chicken breast or tenderloin is fine, really whatever you have), seasoned with salt and pepper, in the same pan at medium-high heat.  As soon as the chicken is cooked, add one can of cream of mushroom soup to the pan and 4 0z. (half a can) of milk.  Stir to incorporate chicken and heat until bubbling (a good time to add drained peas or carrots, if desired/available).  Right before serving, add the bacon back to the pan and incorporate.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over toasted English muffin, waffle, toast, or starch of your choice (this would be great over mashed potatoes, rice, etc.).  
  • Potato and bacon hash was also attempted, but this item needs some perfecting before I encourage anyone to make it.  It was still tasty, albeit a bit too greasy.
  • French toast, topped with Nutella and strawberry preserves.

No comments: