Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Classes: Translating Section 3

I'm in the alternative curriculum here, known as Curriculum B or Section 3, so my classes don't line up exactly with the standard first-year curriculum.  I've got Legal Justice Seminar (an overview of American legal thought, particularly since Reconstruction, which is definitely unique to Section 3), Property and Time (basically, a property class, taught by a legal historian who has uncanny knowledge of arcane legal details), Legal Process and Society (Civil Procedure), Legal Practice (Research and Writing), and Bargain, Exchange, and Liability (Torts and Contracts).   

Often, Section 3/Curriculum B gets called "Hippie Law," due to the non-traditional format of the curriculum, the leftward tilt of the faculty, and the leftward tilt of the students.  As far as I can tell, only the first element--non-traditional classes--seems to distinguish the Section from the other sections, as most professors here appear to lean to the left, regardless of section, as well as the students (although there does seem to be a sizable bent toward public interest careers in Section 3--not sure how that compares across other sections).  But if learning about the philosophical/historical context for legal thinking makes me a hippie, then pass the tie-dye and the granola (especially the granola).  Maybe it's my interdisciplinary background in American Studies that attracts me to this sort of approach, but for upwards of $60,000 a year, I don't mind doing a little extra reading to have more in my intellectual "backpack" and to get more than just a "recitation of spells."



No comments: