Sunday, September 14, 2008

Q: What Do You Do in Law School?

People have asked me, "What's law school like?" "What do you do?" "Is it a lot of reading?" To answer those questions, the following is a brief checklist that gets some of the fundamentals down on paper: 

-Do you enjoy reading?
-Are you interested in the "American system" of law and government?
-Do you enjoy reading?
-Do you like seeing where theories of behavior, morality, governance, and policy find their ways into concrete, practical writings?
-Do you like asking "What?" to find out specific answers, and "Why?" to find out how to get those answers?
-Do you like learning from professors who are actually interested in teaching, and respect your time enough to give you clear guidelines?
-Do you enjoy reading?

If you answered yes to these questions, then I think that you'll enjoy law school.  There's more than enough reading, to be sure, but as I've been saying, it is thankfully in English.  From the first two weeks, this is the basic template for law school, at least in Section 3: reading cases (and, sometimes, background information), understanding the rules that come from those cases, and seeing why those rules were applied as they were, when they were.  At least for me, it seems to be a very fitting (and interesting) confluence of my academic interests, which, conveniently, will hopefully prepare me for my professional interests.  In short: so far, so good.  

Now, I'm sure when I'm making outlines and preparing for finals, or when I'm trying to memorize some byzantine part of the Federal Code of Civil Procedure, I'll be grousing about the work, but law school ain't beanbag, and I knew that coming in.  Then again, it's not medical school either, so things could be much worse.

No comments: