Friday, November 14, 2008

This Week in Postmodernism

Via Ta-Nehisi Coates, I present you this absurd clip from Fox:




To be sure, it's delightful to see a Fox News anchor dice some chump regarding non-existent liberal media bias.  But there are two things going on here that elevate this from the "cable news smackdown" genre to the "postmodern/absurdist performance genre."

First, there's the fact that a Fox News anchor is explaining how there was no media bias, period, and no media bias in favor of Barack Obama during the election, with no sense of irony.  The level of contortionism required to pull off that move is stunning, and best accomplished only when engaging in your own subjective reality.  

Second, it's the setting.  As one reader mentioned: "that roundtable looks like the crew from the snickers 'FEAST' advertisement."  There's really nothing that can add to that description. The setting brings it from the sublime to the absurd.  

Two days later, I'm still laughing.

Update: I think it's the the "comedian" asking "why?" in this meek, "I honestly have no clue what I'm talking about voice" that puts me over the edge.

No comments: